Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Winter Colours

I love how the male cardinal goes such a vibrant red in the winter, thus my homage to the winged creature's bright beauty.






To stencil the background, I used the 5"x7" Small Birch Forest stencil and Cerulean Blue Nuance powder with a wet makeup sponge to activate and pounce on the colour. On 140 lb cold press watercolour paper, I started darker at the bottom and gradually lightened up a bit as I coloured up wards. Then, once it was dry, I added colour with Tim Holtz Antique Linen Distress ink and a White Stabilo All pencil and dimension by shading with a graphite Stabilo All pencil. Next, on a separate piece of watercolour paper, I stamped the cardinal and watercoloured the image using RedScarlet, and Grey Nuance. I added just a touch of Orange Nuance to brighten the beak. After the cardinal had dried, I fussy cut him out. Then, I stamped and heat embossed the Happy Birthday sentiment onto the card. Lastly, I adhered the cardinal in a spot that made sense for the cardinal's claws, rounding him slightly to give him some added dimension.

I hope you see some bright feathered friends where you are to bring colour into your winterscape.

TTFN,



Magenta products used:


Handsome Cardinal
84.017.P
TM56 - Small Birch Forest - 5" x 7"
TM56
Happy Birthday
07.743.G

No comments: