Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Swimmin' with Fish

What is summertime without swimming?  My little one loves to swim.  She has the long lean body for it too. Once the warm weather hits, she can be continually found in the water, whether at the lake or at the pool or at the cottage, that girl swims.

Today's layout that I am sharing is an ode to Alex's swimming. The title says it all.






Supplies: patterned paper, cardstock stickers, letter stickers, chipboard, flair badge (Simple Stories), kitchen twine and jewels(Dollarama), distress inks (Tim Holtz/Ranger), gelatos (Faber-Castell), letter stamps (Clear Dollar Stamps), blk ink (Ranger), pen (Staedtler)

I used the I Heart Summer Collection from Simple Stories and I played along with the August Week 2 sketch at Let's Get Sketchy.


I started the page knowing I wanted water-like droplets on the page.  To achieve this, I used gelatos.  I simply rubbed a blue gelato in the bottom of a plastic container, added some water and dissolved the gelato by mixing it with my finger.  To get the coordinating colour shade, I swiped the Margarita Mix chartreuse green along the side of the container and then mixed it in with the water.  It was ready to go.  I dipped the back end of a small paint brush handle into the tiny amount of gelato solution and splattered drops on the page.






Besides the droplets I knew I wanted a fishnet for under the photo.  I made the fish net by knotting a section of 12 strings by 10 strings of kitchen twine.  I coloured it by misting it with water and then applying two colours of distress ink to it.  Then letting it dry before adhering it to the cardstock.








Lots of little bits and dimension on this one as I used various thickness of foam pop ups.




Here is the very versatile sketch from Let's Get Sketchy that I used.  I changed up the flowers for a variety of different elements and embellishments.






There is still time until the end of the month to play along.  Check out any of their weekly sketches for oodles of inspiration.

 
TTFN,



14 comments:

Debbie P said...

Awesome job using the sketch! Love your product choices as well! Thanks so much for joining us at Let's Get Sketchy!

Ella Swan said...

Beautiful! Everything just POPS off the white & of course I love the netting behind the photo!!

Elizabeth said...

Love all the pops of colors and how fun this is! Thanks for playing along with LGS!
e.

Heather Landry said...

You made your own netting?! Seriously crafty lady! I love the title too. It's just so perfect.

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Brilliant!!!!! Love this so much! Awesome layout!!

Jinny Newlin said...

What a fun page, Cassandra! Such a great collection, and you've highlighted it beautifully with that pic of your cutie pie!

Carla said...

Absolutely LOVE this! Gorgeous page - thanks for playing along at Let's Get Sketchy!

Melissa Vining said...

Your page is so lovely, and thanks for the tip on how you used your gelatos! Thanks for playing along at LGS!

Brenshevia said...

Beautiful page, great take on the sketch, love the bright colors. Thanks for joining us at LGS!

Sandy Ang said...

how wonderful the bright summery colours on your page. and I love the unique twine net frame you wove around the picture. just fab !

LisaM said...

You rocked he sketch with that Simple Stories line! Love it!
Thanks for playing along with us at Let's Get Sketchy!

Patricia Roebuck said...

Oh wow. Living all your techniques on this too with the gelatos and the net. Came out awesome. So fun!

Unknown said...

Love that fish net you created!! Lovely job with the sketch too. Thanks for playing along with us at LGS!

Lynn said...

Love the twine and all the bright colors on your project! It's so fun. I love how you worked with the sketch! Thanks so much for joining us at Let's Get Sketchy!